July 15, 2008 Deadline Approaching for City of Topeka Utility Franchise Fee Refund Program
July 3, 2008
The deadline for City of Topeka residents to apply for refunds of the franchise fee paid on natural gas and electric bills will expire on July 15, 2008. Utility franchise fees are separate line item amounts on gas and electric utility bills received each month. Persons qualified for this program can receive a refund of 100% of the franchise fees paid for electric and gas utility services at their personal residence during the preceding calendar year.
To qualify for this City of Topeka refund program, consumers must meet all of the following requirements:
- Consumers must have applied for and received a Kansas Homestead Refund for the prior year;
- Consumers must pay electric and/or gas utility service charges for their personal residence for the prior year; and
- The consumer.s personal residence must be within the City limits of Topeka, Kansas.
Kansas Homestead Refunds are available for Kansas residents living in Kansas the entire year, whose total household income is $29,100 or less, who also meet one of the following requirements:
- Be 55 years of age or older, OR
- Be blind or disabled, OR
- Have a dependent child under 18 who lived with you all year whom you claim as a personal exemption (See, http://www.ksrevenue.org/pdf/CR20.pdf)
Additional information about the City of Topeka Utility Franchise Fee Refund Program, including where applications may be obtained, is available at: https://crcnet.org/franchise-fee-credit-program/