seal of the State of Kansas  
Citizens' Utility Ratepayer Board (CURB)

Filing a Complaint

It can often be frustrating when you find that you have a problem with your electric, gas, or telephone service. The first thing you need to do is call your utility company. After supplying the customer representative with the facts, he/she should let you know what actions will be taken regarding your concern.

If you do not hear from the company within a reasonable amount of time, or if you are simply not satisfied, you can then file a complaint with the Kansas Corporation Commission (KCC).

Informal complaints may be made by phone or in writing. No special form is required, but statements should include all of the facts. If you choose to send a written complaint, you should include the following information:

  • Your name as the customer of record
  • Mailing address or service address
  • Home and work phone numbers
  • Name of the utility
  • Your account number
  • The facts about your concern, including dates, time, location, and person(s) involved
  • The resolution you expect
  • Signature and date

You can contact the KCC through the following options:

Consumer Helpline:(785) 271-3140 (Topeka) or toll-free at 1-800-662-0027, between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
Fax:(785) 271-3111
TTD Kansas Relay Center:1-800-766-3777
Mail:KCC-Consumer Protection
1500 S.W. Arrowhead Road
Topeka, KS 66604